Monday, July 20, 2009

Bean and Cheese Burritos - Freezer Meal

I finally got around to assembling the burritos I've been planning on for days. I made those refried beans several days ago, and was totally planning on making my own flour tortillas to wrap the beans in. But I never got around to it, and really needed to assemble these burritos before the beans started going weird... So storebought tortillas it was!

These were super simple, and I think they'll be really good to have around - frozen burritos can be so convenient!

Bean and Cheese Frozen Burritos
Flour tortillas
Refried beans (can be canned or homemade)
Shredded cheddar cheese

Start by heating the tortillas, a few at a time, to make them malleable. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons beans on a tortilla, and top with about a tablespoon of cheese.


Fold in ends of tortilla, and roll up. Place seam-side down in a baking pan.


Repeat with remaining ingredients. When pan is full, cover with foil or plastic wrap and place in freezer. I made two pans of burritos, and have some beans leftover. When the burritos are frozen, remove from pan and place them in a large freezer bag. Be sure to squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible to prevent freezer burn. You can also choose to individually wrap the burritos before bagging them to further protect against freezer burn.

If you want, you could do beef and bean burritos instead. Just substitute taco meat for the shredded cheese.

To heat, I'm not really sure. I would guess you just stick one on a plate and microwave for a couple minutes or until it's heated through. To do several at once, heat in the oven until heated through. Since I've never made these before, that's about as detailed as I can get right now! Maybe the next time we go shopping, I'll peek at the directions on a package of frozen burritos to see what that says. :-)


Next up on my list of things to make and freeze are baked beans with hot dogs, and bean soup. I'll be soaking the beans tonight, so stay tuned for those recipes!

6 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Excellent idea! Beans do freeze so very well, so I can see this working and tasting great!

American Homemaker said...

We make these all the time.

Megan said...

I look forward to your next freezer recipes!

Anonymous said...

I usually use this recipe for burritos for the freezer. I use cooked diced potatoes instead of frozen hash browns, and sometimes I add a little more rice. When I make it for dinner, I bake in the oven like the recipe says and freeze everything we don't eat. I like to do some smaller burritos in soft-taco size tortillas and some in the larger burrito-size tortillas. I wrap in plastic wrap to freeze. We usually take them in lunches, so we put in the frozen burrito in the morning and then it is mostly thawed by lunch, then you can microwave it for about two minutes. Delicious!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Hearty-Burritos

Michelle said...

I've made frozen burritos before. Yep, just toss one in the microwave for a couple minutes. They were great for Mark to take for lunches, until they ran out! :-)

Tiffaney said...

I have never made frozen burritos before. I usually buy them from the store, but it always seems like it's filled with "mystery meat" if you know what I mean. This is a good idea, because then I know exactly what's going in my burrito :-).....yes, I really am that paranoid